onsdag 27. januar 2010

En gammel sak fra et tidligere notat

I'm not afraid to admit it - I'm probably not very good at giving a good first impression. Once, I was confronted with how I opened a presentation of myself saying "this course is not my choice, I'd rather be somewhere else". OK, not a very smart thing to say. It makes a lousy first impression, no matter how true it was. Now, as it turnes out, the course was excellent and has given me enourmous amount of growth and maturity opportunities.

This has happend to me a couple of times before. Starting university, I didn't make my first choice, Chemistry, but started on my second choice, Marine Technology. I had firm plans on changing into Chemistry if I got an opening, but after about one week in Marine I figured it out - THIS is really fun! And look where I am now! I can't even imagine where I'd be if I'd stuck to my first choice.

A more recent happening was a year ago. During the days before the merger I applied for a job on a higher management level, but was refused. I was not too happy about that (who likes to be refused anyway?) and "settled" with the position I have now. And what happy ending THAT was! I have more fun and more drive than I've ever had.

For me, it's like a game of cards. You might hope to get dealt the Ace of Spades.


You might even try to manipulate the stack to get it, but in the end, you have to play with the cards you've been dealt. And you might be disappointed that you didn't get that ace, but the lack of that particular card doesn't mean you'll lose the game. On the contrary - play them right and you will win!

Personally, I often feel disappointed when I don't get my first choice for any reason. But I don't stay there very long. I try to look at what I have and make the best out of the situation. You might not even win that round, but there is always another game coming up. Wish for that ace, but play with the cards you've been dealt.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar